Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snow at the Beach!

It has been busy around here! I have some news but this biggest event here on the coast has been the snow. Earlier this week we had 2" of snow fall overnight followed by record breaking cold. On the morning of the snow fall, I grabbed the camera and headed down to the beach before breakfast. I took a lot of pictures and will share these two:
As winter settles in, I am finding it even more challenging to find some of the basics I need to make a variety of delicious, healthy vegan meals. Oh, one can always find beans and rice but if my timing is not right at the stores, fresh greens and items like tempeh and tofu are sometimes not available. I did one of my stocking up trips up to Astoria (about 45 miles north along a windy coastal road) and didn't come back with a whole lot. The co-op was out of tofu, and my favorite jasmine tea. I decided I need to take a few things into my own hands. I started researching making my own tempeh, tofu, and water kefir. I found a wonderful website that has information, videos, and supplies to order called Cultures for Health. They are not a completely vegan site but do have the cultures needed to make these vegan staples. I would also like to try making my own Kombucha. I ordered cultures for tempeh, two kinds to see which I prefer, water kefir grains, and tofu making supplies. I got the soybeans to start a batch of tempeh tomorrow and will have reports on my progress for all three as I go. I have never made any of these things before but wanted to give it a try. It would be nice to be somewhat independent from the stores. I am looking into what I can do for veggies. We have joined a CSA but that does not start up until May! Seems a long way away from here. I, like so many others, am ready for spring.
I will post the results of my first attempt at making tempeh soon!
-Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment