Friday, April 19, 2013

The Quest for Cherry Pie

Photo from http://veggiebelly.com
Tomorrow is my birthday. I will officially be over 50. I decided I didn't want cake. I decided I want cherry pie to celebrate with instead. In fact, from the moment I thought about cherry pie for my birthday, I suddenly had an intense craving for cherry pie. Thinking back, I don't remember the last time I had a lovely piece of cherry pie! It has been a few years.
Today we set out up the coast to shop and do errands. We went all the way to Astoria and to the Astoria Food Co-op.
Alas, the cherry pie is not to be! I could not find organic frozen cherries, let alone canned anywhere between here and Astoria. We stopped at every grocery store. No cherries. As to finding a ready-made, gluten free, vegan, organic cherry pie...Well, that would be expecting a lot!
I knew that it isn't cherry season and therefore was not expecting fresh organic cherries but I had hoped to find frozen ones.
It looks like the cherry pie will have to wait. At the moment, I don't even want a birthday treat.
At the moment, I don't feel over 50 , I feel like a rather disappointed 5 year old!
Now, I know I will have an enjoyable day tomorrow. I have no worries there. When asked what I wanted for my birthday gift I chose a rather extravagant one for me. I will take a painting trip down the coast to enjoy and capture the natural beauty of this incredible area later this summer in honor of tomorrow. I will save up for it and I know a few special places I can stop and enjoy a meal.

 I will eventually enjoy a piece of cherry pie and will savor it all the more when that splendid day arrives.

Finally, given the sad news in the world and in my country at this time, being deprived of cherry pie on my date of birth is a small trifle. My heart hurts for the families who have recently lost loved ones.

I have to say though, cherry pie definitely makes the world a better place!

-Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment